The recipe is quite simple and summer is the best time to make this recipe, as fresh raw mangoes can be found easily. So, have a look at the ingredients required and the procedure to follow.
Serves - 4
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 15 minutes
1. Raw mangoes - 2 (peeled and cut into cubes)
2. Salt - a pinch
3. Sugar -1 cup
4. Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
5. Black mustard seeds - ½ tsp
6. Dry red chilli - 1 (whole)
7. Mustard oil - 1.5 tbsp
8. Roasted cumin powder - 1 tsp
9. Water - 1 cup
10. Raisins - 1 tbsp (optional)
11. Cashews - 1 tbsp (optional)
1. Take a thick bottomed kadai and heat the oil.
2. Add mustard seeds and dry chilli into it and let the mustard seeds splutter.
3. Now, lower the flame and add the mango cubes into the kadai.
4. Add salt and turmeric powder and stir the mango cubes well for a few minutes.
5. Add water and cover your kadai. Put the stove on simmer.
6. Check the mango cubes after 5 minutes and wait till they get tender. Add ¼th cup of sugar.
7. Add more water and boil again.
8. Lower the heat and add rest of the sugar.
9. Add cashews and raisins if you want to make it richer.
10. Taste the chutney. Once you get the perfect consistency and sweetness, turn off the flame and serve it on a serving dish.
11. Sprinkle some cumin powder on it and the mango chutney is ready to be served.
Some Important Points:
You should check the consistency continuously as you need it thick. If you want to make it sweeter, you can add more sugar into it. If the mango is too sour, you can boil it with salt and drain the water to reduce the sourness. It will take lesser time to make the chutney.