Brain-eating amoeba kills 6-yr-old boy in Texas

Texas: The Governor of Texas has issued a disaster declaration after the death of six-year-old boy infected with a brain-eating amoeba that was later found in his community's water supply.

The child died on September 8 following an infection caused by the amoeba 'Naegleria fowleri', a microscopic organism that breeds in the warm, fresh water of lakes and rivers and of poorly maintained swimming pools, U.S media reports said. 

The amoeba enters the body through the nasal membranes and penetrates to the brain, causing powerful migraine, hyperthermia, stiff neck and vomiting, then dizziness, extreme fatigue, confusion and hallucinations.

Testing revealed traces of the amoeba in the tap of the garden hose at the boy's house, a spokesman for the town of Lake Jackson said, quoted by local media.

 

 

 

Asianet.in/News Desk: Asianet Online